Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Canned Salsa

Tomatoes are ripening faster than I can get them canned so today my daughter came and helped me make a huge batch of salsa. Salsa is the most requested canned item from my family and everyone loves it so much I almost can't make enough to last all year. Once you start eating home canned salsa, the store bought stuff just doesn't cut it anymore!!
We probably tripled this recipe and canned 30 pints today but we will have to do another batch later.
Ingredients don't have to be measured precisely. For the most part we just measure approximately and keep tasting especially when it comes to adding the hot peppers. They vary so much in hotness from pepper to pepper. I use a variety called garden salsa but jalapeno's work great too.


Salsa
15 cups diced tomatoes
3 cups chopped onions
5 cups chopped green peppers. Sometimes I add red or yellow. Whatever I have on hand.
1 1/2 cups finely chopped hot peppers approx. This depends on how hot or mild you like your salsa and how hot your peppers are.
6-8 cloves garlic minced more or less to taste.
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 Tbsp oregano
1 tsp black pepper
1 Tbsp kosher salt
2 6 oz. cans tomato paste
Combine all ingredients except tomato paste. Bring to a boil and simmer 45 minutes over medium heat. Add the tomato paste and cook to desired consistency.
NOTE: Sometimes I put in an extra can of tomato paste to thicken to my desired consistency.
 Put in jars and process 15 minutes in a boiling water bath.
printablerecipe

2 comments:

  1. I am always impressed with those that can and all that work. Looks wonderful.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a feeling of accomplishment. I canned some hamburger a couple of weeks ago. I need to cook a turkey and debone it and can it. So handy for so many things.

    ReplyDelete